Princess' Entourage

I have always known Princess to be a lone turkey, which I found fascinating since turkeys are known to run with the flock. She surprised me three years ago when she showed up with babies, but that is the only time I've seen her with other turkeys. Last year was the first time I heard her vocalizing, which made it apparent she wasn't as independent from the flock as she led me to believe. Nevertheless, it was surprising to see her with her entourage this afternoon. No, I'm not referring to the opportunistic ground squirrel pictured below with her.


I was sitting out on the patio, reading and enjoying the breezy, cool weather, when Princess decided to drop down from the roof. She was surprised to see me and gave some warning putts. I went inside to give her some privacy, and I saw that her boyfriend and hen friend were accompanying her, grazing in the front yard. Since they seem to be making themselves regulars, I'll have to give them monikers, so hereafter they will be known as Big Tom and Sweet Pea. Not very original I'm afraid.


I'm not sure if I like the thought of Princess becoming part of a close knit family group or not. Three turkeys is three times the turkey poop, which also draws more ire from cranky people in the neighborhood who have an unfavorable view of them, and would do them harm. When I went back outside, she flew up to the roof and started yelping at Big Tom, which is basic turkey communication, though I imagine she wasn't altogether pleased with my presence.

Comments

Popular Posts