Marauding Gangs of Squirrels

The backyard birder's dilemma is whether or not to invite squirrels to the bird party, or somehow try to exclude them. These wily guys will always try to find a way to be included in the festivities. The problem is much worse in the summertime when the ground squirrels come in large numbers and vacuum up every last bit of anything resembling food. They're great to have around if you want someone to clean up the party.

Mama squirrel teaches her baby how to eat from a platform feeder. Way to go, Mom!

Those who don't want them around invest in squirrel baffles and squirrel proof feeders until they finally realize that where there's a squirrel, there's a way, and resort to spicy bird food. Then there's the folks who give up and get the squirrels their own cute, little feeders. In between are the jokers who have reluctantly accepted the squirrels, but try to amuse themselves by making the squirrels bounce for food on bungee cords, or by enticing them to eat out of horse head masks.

Okay, so I bought a cute squirrel feeder once. They plucked the little fake squirrel's beady eyes out.

I buy them peanuts and foolishly hope they'll leave the sunflower seeds to my ravenous goldfinches, but I know they'll eat whatever they can get their little paws on. I don't mind supporting them as long as they leave some for the birds. The best way to cut down on their consumption is by sitting out on the patio during the day. When I'm unable to do that, then I try not to have too much food out in the middle of the day, as I have mistakenly done in the picture you see below. When they're done stuffing themselves on what's in the seed trays, they will return when hungry and dangle by their toes to gobble up what's in the hanging feeders.

Can you find all 7 squirrels? See the answer below.

Unfortunately, the heft of these guys jumping onto my feeder pole has begun to skew the feeder. I'm trying not to be too annoyed with them, and it's hard not to admire their ingenuity and persistence, though I do wish they'd show some restraint. I suppose if they did that, they wouldn't be squirrels.

Cheese it!


Answer to the hidden squirrel photo above. I have a feeling there may be more that I missed.

Comments

Popular Posts