Let's Have a Wild Party!

My favorite thing to do on Saturday is throw a big bird party. Early in the morning, I go out and refill the bird feeders and trays, making sure there is a plentiful supply of appetizers and treats spread throughout the yard so the guests can easily share. Today's menu includes peanuts, millet, and everyone's favorite sunflower kernels. I've also put out my last peanut suet cake as a special treat, hoping the squirrels won't gobble it all up. It's important to make sure your guests have beverages, so I've also provided fresh water. As I finish preparations, the guests begin to arrive.
 
The first one to show is Mother Squirrel, who gets up before the babies so she can enjoy some peanuts in peace.

The cute squirrel feeder didn't survive the many falls it's incurred from squirrel chases along the fence.

Princess and Sweet Pea are already making their morning rounds, so they stop by to clean up whatever I dropped when refilling the feeders, and then move on to the next location in their feeder pub crawl. I expect they'll make their way back sometime this afternoon.


The goldfinches bring some excited chirping to the yard, but are being camera shy, and often fly away when I point my camera at them. A mother goldfinch has two cute, noisy babies that flap their wings at her, begging for her to stifle their high-pitched cries by stuffing food in their beaks, but I've been unsuccessful at getting a good shot of them.


The mourning doves come next, with their trademark wing flapping chirp and mournful hooting. Mother Squirrel approaches a dove in the platform feeder, and though dovey lifts a wing in warning, she's not deterred, and forces her out of the feeder. I have to intervene and lead her back to the peanuts I put out for her. I end up giving her a few sunflower seeds to keep her happy and out of the feeders.


House finches bring their cheerful chirping, and they especially enjoy the window feeder, since they mostly have it to themselves. I do have a few doves who have managed to get to it out of desperation when the platform tray is empty.


Scrub jays are the loud talkers at the party and they call noisily to each other across the neighborhood as they swoop in and grab some peanuts. I'm happy to see they're getting a chance to enjoy the peanut suet before the squirrels, mice or opossums get to it.

Unfortunately, sometimes a party pooper will show up, but it helps to draw the killjoy away by providing him with treats of his own to distract him.


He thinks he's making himself useful by acting as bouncer, turning away obnoxious squirrels, but I have to reign him in when he physically assaults them.

Taken right before the pounce, when the photographer had to save a squirrel's life.

As the party kicks into high gear, the volume gets turned up with the combined sounds of cheeping jays, barking squirrels, chirping finches, hooting doves, chipping hummingbirds, and the occasional squawking of crows. I sometimes worry I may be reported for a noise violation since I live in a quiet neighborhood that rarely has any loud people parties, but hopefully the neighbors don't mind the sounds of a good bird party. At least I haven't had any complaints yet.

Great party! Let's do it again next week!

Comments

Popular Posts